Monday, August 3, 2020

Masks Are Making Us Hotter: A Theory

In this day and age of coronavirus, it is very obvious everyone is wearing masks when they go out. Most states or cities have even made it required to wear a mask whenever you go into a public space. Thank goodness. Additionally, COVID experts have said that if everyone wears a mask 80% of the time, we could finally get a handle on the spread of the virus. It’s abundantly clear that wearing a mask is responsible and essential as we return to work and other public spaces. Besides being essential to combatting the pandemic and protecting yourself and those around you, masks will also make us all hotter.

 

You might be confused, but don’t worry dear reader, I’ve been thinking about this a lot. To help you better understand, a metaphor:

 

As a society, we love boobs. Besides being essential sex organs to feed a child, breasts are also cute, sexy, and fun, and most people go crazy for them. Part of the appeal is the ~mystery~ behind boobs. They are concealed most of the time, giving us time to wonder, what might those breasts look like out in the open? The wondering is what eroticizes them. So much so that when we get a little glimpse such as cleavage, underboob, or my personal fave, side boob, we get excited! And I don’t necessarily mean sexually excited, but just enthusiastic in general. I am delighted to see a friend showing off their beautiful breasts with a little cleavage to say hello. The same thing is happening to our faces because of masks!

 

We’re all seeing everyone in public spaces covering most of their face. We can’t help but wonder, “What does the rest of that face look like? I think they’re attractive, but I’m not so sure.”  They are shrouded in mystery, making us dream and wonder what their smile might look like. Creating a pull towards them and their (possibly) beautifully masked face. Desperately wishing we could catch a glimpse…And then perhaps from a distance, even for just a second, they take off their mask and we see their face. What a delight!

 

Every time I’ve seen someone briefly take off their mask, I am always surprised by what their whole face looks like. It’s not like I’m consciously thinking of what the rest of their face looks like and constructing a picture in my head, but I am always surprised to see someone sans mask. This surprise can easily translate into excitement and attraction in seeing someone’s face. I recently had this happen to me in real life.

 

I had seen someone several times over a period of time, always with everyone in the space wearing masks. I suspected I was attracted to this person but wasn’t totally sure because of the mask. Having met them for the first time masked up, I wondered what the rest of their face looked like. Would I ever see them sans mask, even at a distance? Or would I forever wonder if they had a great or goofy smile? The mystery was electric! Then, after several times seeing this person masked up, they briefly took off their mask while speaking with me, and dear reader, I kid you not, my heart skipped a beat. I internally GASPED. Much like a queen on RuPaul’s Drag Race, I love a reveal! This person was even more attractive to me than I suspected!

 

We’re going to all be so used to seeing people with most of their faces concealed that we’ll begin to wonder, what do they really look like? When you take off your mask, at least one person in your vicinity is bound to be attracted to you. That’s science. The Boob Effect, if you will.

 

Everyone looks best when they smile! Being diligent about mask wearing during the pandemic is essential for keeping everyone safe and healthy, but also essential for your instant glow up once it’s safe to be mask free again. You’re welcome.

 

P.S. Take a drink every time I say the word “mask, masks, or masked” . You’re welcome again.

No comments:

Post a Comment